Friday, June 21, 2013

Paula Deen...You're Fired!

The Food Network has just announced that they will not be allowing Paula Deen to return to the network, and I would like to share my thoughts on the decision. I generally don’t agree with decisions that are made out of fear. I’ve been watching Paula for years, and anyone else who’s done the same understands that she’s an older, southern woman with a lot of flare! She always has been! I am absolutely going to take race out of this, because I feel that there is another contributing issue at play.

The network did not respond to her behavior until it gained backlash from the media, and up until that point they, assumingly, supported her and her antics whole heartedly. Is it right for the network to now turn their back on her because she is being called out as a racist? Is she a racist? Her colleagues of the last many years know the answer to that question better than anyone.

So, is it right that they “relieved her of her duties” only after the backlash received over the last few days? Or should they stand behind her character, and give her a leg to stand on? She has admittedly spewed these slurs on more than one occasion, why now has this network decided they no longer want to employ her?

In no way do I condone Paula’s actions. I do become concerned however, when her employer condoned her actions for years and now decides to leave her out on the raft all alone to protect their own rear ends. She shouldn’t be out on that raft by herself! That’s my opinion.

Your thoughts?

No comments:

Post a Comment